Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] CMA Equalizer error

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] CMA Equalizer error
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 13:53:15 -0400

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 2:06 PM, Sam mite <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi, I am trying the CMA equalizer of gnuradio and for understanding I am studying the reference paper  mentioned in the doc as well. I have a question after going through the code- Why the real and imag part of the error signals are being clipped at 1.

float re = gr::clip(error.real(), 1.0); float im = gr::clip(error.imag(), 1.0);

Shouldn't it be "d_modulus" instead of 1.

Regards,

Sam

The answer is no. The clipping is just to make sure that the error signal doesn't walk away too far or go to some strange state if the incoming signal is too ugly. There's nothing that I can find that ties that value to the modulus at all, though I can see why you might think so. In fact, when you make the change you suggested, the results get noticeably worse.

I've attached an example that uses our dynamic fading model to explore the results. You can select between different UMTS PDP models, both of which are pretty bad. I found that restricting this error value even more makes the algorithm a bit more robust, though it likely takes longer to lock. But when using d_modulus here, the algorithm never actually converges.

Tom