Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Writing a Radio Driver

From: András Retzler
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Writing a Radio Driver
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 21:03:41 +0200

Hi Harrison,

Here's a good tutorial on writing a custom block:

http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/OutOfTreeModules

You can create a source block with gr_modtool add -t source ...

You may also try to add your receiver to the source block in gr-osmosdr, which already supports multiple SDR hardware.

There is also a document on Zynq-based acceleration in GR:

http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/Zynq

Regards,

Andras

Hello Everyone,

I have a custom PCB to power an SDR, and I'm going to need to provide
a gnuradio driver for it.

We are using:
 * Xilinx Zynq 7020 SoC
 * Analog Devices AD9364 ADC
 * AvNet ZedBoard for prototyping

I can only imagine that we will ultimately use a tweaked version of
the Ettus Research UHD driver.  I have found a couple of other drivers
that people have written, as well.

Short of old-fashioned source-diving, I am unsure of where to begin.
Can anyone recommend some good reading on the gnuradio architecture
and/or driver layer?  I'm guessing I'll have to write a source block
for the radio, leaving the issue of running the flow graph on the PL
of the Zynq and interfacing properly with the AXI bus.

Thanks,
Harrison

--
Harrison Caudill