Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] QT GUI Segmentation Fault

From: Michael Rahaim
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] QT GUI Segmentation Fault
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 14:45:32 -0400

Hi Johnathan,

Thanks for the reply. I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 on a Dell XPS laptop with 8 cores. Results of the grep call are below:

model name    : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz
model name    : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz
model name    : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz
model name    : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz
model name    : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz
model name    : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz
model name    : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz
model name    : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz

I noticed that there are 12 other uses of a_avx in volk_config. Is it likely that using any of the kernels with a_avx will cause a similar issue?

-Mike

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 2:19 PM, Johnathan Corgan <address@hidden> wrote:
On 10/30/2014 02:07 PM, Michael Rahaim wrote:

> While I'm happy to have it working again, I don't exactly know what this
> modification actually does. If anyone with knowledge of the volk library
> can give me a quick bit of info about what these modifications are
> actually doing and / or why this would resolve the segfault issue, it
> would ease my mind a bit.

What you did was instruct VOLK to use a non-SIMD implementation of these
two functions.  It appears that for whatever reason the AVX versions of
those kernels are having problems when running on your specific CPU.

Can you give us the information from running:

$ grep 'model name' /proc/cpuinfo

What OS and version are you using?

Are you running in a virtualized environment like VMware or KVM?

--
Johnathan Corgan, Corgan Labs
SDR/DSP Training and Consulting Services