[Discuss-gnuradio] Packet sequence numbers

From: Ed Criscuolo
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Packet sequence numbers
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2014 14:14:14 -0500

I'm using a vector-insert block to add a fixed-size header to a
stream of interleaved short samples at a fixed interval, and
then running it though

stream-to-tagged-stream => tagged-stream-to-PDU => Socket-PDU

to wrap it up in a UDP packet and send it out the network.
The header consists of 28 shorts, and the data of 512 shorts
(actually 256 complex short samples), to yield a UDP packet
payload of 540 shorts (1080 bytes).

This works fine for the fixed fields in the header, but two
of them are variable:  Sequence-number and timestamp.

Is there any convenient way from within GRC to insert an
incrementing number into one of the shorts in the header?
I know it can be done by writing a custom block, but is there
any way to use existing blocks from within GRC?

And what about the timestamp?  Any easy way _within GRC_ to
use and track the timetag from the USRP and the sample number
to gen up a timestamp value for the header?