Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] rpc server setup

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] rpc server setup
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 13:21:01 -0500

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 1:52 PM, Jared Dulmage <address@hidden> wrote:
GR nation,

My first attempt at this question was foiled by my e-mail program's insistance on sending html.  I apologize for the repeat.

I am interested in using controlport for monitoring, debug, and control of a flowgraph as part of a larger distributed signal processing system.  I'm currently running GR 3.7.4 so I still have Ice but the rest of my system uses zeromq.  I'd like to remain consistent and I'd like to have something independent of the GR version (Ice seems to have been removed from later versions).  The controlport documentation states that it's agnostic to the rpc framework, but I cannot figure out how one would use a service other than through Ice.  In fact I can't even find where the Ice server is setup in the flowgraph and how the server discovers the registered rpcs from each block.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jared.

The design of ControlPort was that we could put in other RPC/middleware layers between the ControlPort API used by GNU Radio and the client side. We had only developed this using ICE so far, though. There is an effort to add support for Thrift inside ControlPort, though, and we are hopeful that we can re-enable the use of ICE in the near future.

Tom