[Discuss-gnuradio] sdr-iq on mac 10.7 or 10.9

From: Alexander Tudor
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] sdr-iq on mac 10.7 or 10.9
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 12:27:44 -0800

Greetings:

My installation consists of: a) OSX 10.9 or 10.7 b) gnuradio 3.7.x installed through mac ports, c) osmosdr (because of its support for SDR-IQ within gnu radio companion) installed through mac ports.
My goal is to use SDR-IQ within gnu radio companion but wanted to proceed in smaller steps, the least of which, I was told, was to use gqrx or osmosdr_fft.

I started with 10.9 and, as per FTDI instruction, removed Apple's serial driver (the rationale being, I think, to avoid conflict with port access elsewhere). I then proceeded to install the D2XX libraries from FTDI with the expectations that
something like gqrx would work. It did not, as it kept expecting /dev/tttyUSB, which did not exist (I believe that D2XX, provides, somehow, direct access to the USB port). Somebody suggested directly setting DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES such that gqrx would find them. On 10.9 I have also tried to connect SDRDx through SDR-xx Server, all to no avail.

I had then repeated this experiment on a 10.7 machine and SDRDx was working through the SDR-xx Server and I could connect a 10.9 SDRDx client to the 10.7 SDR-xx Server. gqrx does not work on 10.7 however.

As I wrote above my goal is to connect the SDR-IQ directly to the machine that runs 10.9 and to use osmosdr's block as a source within gnu radio companion.

At this point I do not know how to further proceed.

Any ideas or clarifications on misunderstandings I may have about what I am trying to achieve appreciated!

Thank you,

Alex