Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] plateau detectors

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] plateau detectors
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 18:01:12 +0100

Hi zs,
hm, there's basically three places (that I know of) that GR uses Schmidl & Cox:
the ofdm_chanest Channel estimator, the original S&C-based ofdm_sync_pn.py and the more robustness-optimized version in ofdm_sync_pnac.py.
I suspect you're referring to one of the two ofdm_sync_pn*.py , but they differ a bit in how they deal with the peaks. Thus:
Which implementation are you referring to exactly?

Generally, Schmidl & Cox [1] states that
"The timing metric reaches a plateau [...] For the AWGN channel, there is a window with a length of the guard interval where the metric reaches a maximum, and the start of the frame can be taken to be anywhere within this window without a loss in the received  SNR."
Thus, without having really read throu ofdm_sync_pn.py in depth, if using the original approach, you shouldn't even care where the plateau is converted to a 1.

Greetings,
Marcus

[1] http://scholar.google.de/scholar?cluster=3934179950738780116&hl=en&as_sdt=0,5&as_vis=1