Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GRC Install - Pybombs vs Binaries

From: Barry Jackson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GRC Install - Pybombs vs Binaries
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 15:52:26 +0000

On 20/12/14 00:03, Martin Braun wrote:
On 12/19/2014 02:56 PM, John Meloche wrote:
[...]
forward.  At a training course from Corgan Labs in the spring we were
warned that binaries will be phased out in favour of pybombs.
This leads me to a few questions:
1) Will the binaries be available and supported into the future or will
pybombs eventualy be the method of choice?

Not sure what exactly you discussed with Johnathan, but in general we
recommend people to use the binaries (apt-get install), unless you need
a newer version or want to particpate in development. In particular, for
beginners this is a good choice because it removes at least one awkward
stage of getting started.
Note that you should have at least a 3.7.x version. Latest Ubuntus ship
this. If this is not the case, that would be one case where we don't
recommend using binaries.

2) Is there an advantage to using one method over the other?

The obvious ones: apt-get is easier, pybombs gives you more flexibility
and newest stuff. The latter also has the advantage that you have
immediate access to lots of OOT modules.

3) Is there a way to identify a package version that is considered to
be long term support compared to a minor bug fix (similar to the way
that Ubuntu has identified its versions)?

We don't really have this. You can see some releases have four-figure
version numbers (e.g. 3.7.5.1) which is what happens when we add some
bugfixes to a release (in this case, 3.7.5). There's still too much
change going on with GNU Radio to freeze an LTS version of it.

Cheers,