Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] First time user - fm radio tutorial has choppy au

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] First time user - fm radio tutorial has choppy audio
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 23:32:47 -0500

On 01/14/2015 11:28 PM, Ralph A. Schmid, dk5ras wrote:
Hi,

How would I change this, skipping PulseAudio and using Alsa? The only audio
application I try with gnuradio at the moment behaves similar here. I try to
decode DMR, and I get choppy audio although everything should be OK. I blamed
gr-dsd, but maybe it is a common issue. Will have to try a simple FM RX to
verify :)

Ralph.

You almost certainly have a sample-rate mismatch somewhere in the flow--likely,
your audio sink is configured for a sample-rate other than what
the hardware (or PulseAudio) can support.  Sometimes also, PulseAudio gets into
trouble and gets all under-runny.   I'd go with Alsa direct if it
were my problem, and skip Pulse entirely.

One could just try dial_tone.py example. That will exercise the audio subsystem.

For alsa, in the device field in the audio sink, try something like hw:0,0 or plughw:0,0