Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [VOLK] SIMD accelerated Mersenne-Twister

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [VOLK] SIMD accelerated Mersenne-Twister
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 10:47:54 -0800

Stefan,

******THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE ETC.********

the license isn't the issue, but the copyright. Code that goes into GNU
Radio is copyrighted by the FSF (that's why you signed that CLA). This
is becoming a more and more common thing, btw, see the recent
discussions on the LLVM project.

Since you're not the copyright holder of the original code, you have no
way of transferring said copyright to the FSF.

I'm not sure what the correct way to do this is. An out-of-tree approach
will definitely work, since the licenses are compatible according to
lists provided by e.g. the FSF.
If the authors would agree to a copyright transfer of this copy of the
code, that'll also work but it's annoying to get that.

On a different note, this is really great work, Stefan!

Cheers,
Martin