Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to choose a suitable fec method for GMSK Tx a

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to choose a suitable fec method for GMSK Tx and Rx?
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 03:35:12 +0100

Hello Franklin,

the choice of appropriate FEC depends *exclusively* on how you want the system to behave, and how you model your transmission, especially with respect to noise. For example, for low-SNR situation, using channel coding actually makes BER worse, so you might even be better off without FEC.

Hence, it is a decision that only *you* can make after defining and testing your transmission system.

There's GMSK demos in GNU Radio, for example gr-channels/examples/demo_gmsk.grc .

There also is a lot of different FEC available, from the "generic" gr-fec stuff over to the highly efficient yet specific polar codes present in newest GNU Radio.

Best regards,
Marcus