Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ham/amateur getting started

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ham/amateur getting started
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 13:05:25 +0100

>From the customer support perspective:

The E310 is a very nice device from an analog point of view, but be warned:
The E310 is an embedded device; it runs Linux on its own CPU, and you
have to develop your signal processing software to run on that CPU; if
you need to do something with serious bandwidth, you might even have to
resort to FPGA programming, because the CPU in the E310 definitely isn't
comparable to a Laptop or desktop CPU in performance.
It cannot really be used as a peripheral to a PC.

Generally, I do advise to use the E310 if you know you have a standalone
application that requires operation with little power on limited
bandwidths; and even then, I recommend that people get a B210 and
develop their signal processing on a PC using that, before porting your
software to the E310 (the UHD API is the same).

Best regards,
Marcus