Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Anyone working on ATSC 3.0 enc/dec?

From: Ron Economos
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Anyone working on ATSC 3.0 enc/dec?
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 17:01:34 -0800

ATSC 3.0 is very much like DVB-T2, so at least for the transmitter, you can use many of the DVB-T2 blocks in gr-dtv as a starting point for your development.

I'm definitely in wait and see mode on this standard. This is pure speculation, but I have a feeling that ATSC 3.0 may never see the light of day. Some reasons are:

1) There will be no second channel and no government funded converter box program like the analog to digital (ATSC 1.0) transition. Unless the FCC mandates that all TV's must have an ATSC 3.0 tuner and until these TV's penetrate the market, no station is going to switch over.

2) If the upcoming 600 MHz incentive auction is successful, then there may be large number of TV stations that will need to change frequency after the repack. There will be some government financial relief, but it's likely not to be nearly enough. After spending large sums of money getting on a new channel, TV stations may not be too keen to spend more money on ATSC 3.0 equipment.

3) One of the main features of ATSC 3.0 is mobile TV. But mobile TV has failed over and over again. The primary reason is that no cell phone provider will put a mobile TV receiver in a handset. Without some "killer app", ATSC 3.0 doesn't provide enough incentive to upgrade.

But I could be wrong. :-)

Ron