Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] OOT module authors, please update your cmake

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] OOT module authors, please update your cmake
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 10:42:38 -0500

On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 6:14 AM, Marcus Müller <address@hidden> wrote:
That was the general idea, but long impossible at the start, because one
didn't want modules that were "C++ compatible" to older versions of GNU
Radio to fail because these older versions were missing cmake modules.
That's why it might be a good time to revisit that problem, and throw
away stuff that's guaranteed to be there in central GNU Radio of any
sufficiently recent version.

Best regards,
Marcus

Thanks, Marcus. I was going to step in and explain this. We spent quite a bit of time debating the proper use and installation policies of the cmake modules when we switched to using cmake. Another issue is that of discovery of the cmake modules. We install ours into $prefix/lib/cmake/gnuradio as per the Cmake guidelines. However, putting them there meant they were not necessarily in a place that cmake would discover their existence and you might have to set some environmental variables to point there. I had tried a number of different things, but each one seemed to lead us into some problem or another without a clear and clean solution. We ended up with the current model because it put the onus on the developers (of GR and the OOTs) and made it easier for the users.

If we change this behavior, it might be a good target for 3.8. I'm saying this because we will be updating our dependency versions for 3.8, so we will need to revisit the cmake modules to make sure they set to look for the right versions of everything, but it also means a newer version of CMake, which given all of the work on that project since their 2.6 days might make this problem a lot easier for us.

Tom