[Discuss-gnuradio] GSoC Applicants, read this!

From: Martin Braun
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] GSoC Applicants, read this!
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 13:35:04 -0800

Hey everyone,

we've been getting a lot of responses to our GSoC acceptance, and that's
great! I'm really thrilled to see all these new names and ideas for what
to work on.

In order to get this going in a most efficient way, please read these:

- Make sure you've read all of our wiki pages on GSoC.
- Do not contact mentors off-list at this point. We want to keep as much
as possible in the public, plus, we don't have definite assignments for
projects yet.
- Pick one project that suits you most, trying to apply for multiple
projects within GNU Radio will most likely reduce your chances of
getting accepted, because you will have to split your focus.
- If you're not yet acquainted with GNU Radio, go spend some time with
the tutorials, GRC, etc. before you continue. Depending on the project,
you should also be very familiar with the tool you'd be working on (e.g.
PyBOMBS, VOLK, QT). Your application must convey that you've actually
understood the problem you're trying to solve.
- If you haven't done so, I highly recommend going through the process
of submitting a pull request (that includes, e.g., fixing a bug or
fixing some documentation, submitting the FSF CLA paperwork, running
tests, adding tests, submitting the actual PR through github). This
shows your commitment, and tells us you have the skills to actually work
with us. Even if you're working on an OOT module, I recommend this approach.
- Start working on your application, and post it publicly. Starting
early will certainly increase your chances.

Cheers,
Martin