Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GSOC 2016 : Implement optimized, standardized cha

From: Jan Krämer
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GSOC 2016 : Implement optimized, standardized channel codes
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 08:35:04 +0100

Hi Tanero,

Yes a general LDPC encoder/decoder pair was implemented during GSoC2013. However as far as I know it is not yet volk enhanced. Tom should know more about that, as he was the mentor for this project if I remember correctly. This could also be a feasible GSoC project, though I have to admit that I am no expert on LDPC codes. It could be a lot harder than BCJR/Viterbi based decoders, as LDPC implies random memory accesses all over the place, so an efficient data shuffling algorithm is crucial here (Again Tom might know more about that). However I know for sure that the decoder for standardized codes like DVBT2 can be enhanced by SSE/AVX operations. This could also be a valid GSoC project where also gr-dtv core modules should benefit. You could also have a look at this.

One last thing. Please keep all conversations about GSoC on the mailing list. We want to keep the discussion as open and transparent as possible and it is also for your own good if as many people/mentors read your proposals/ideas. This is the best way for you to get feedback. Also keep in mind that the decision about whether you can participate in GSoC is made by all mentors, so if the other mentors know you better because you kept your ideas visible on the GNURadio mailing list, your chances will better (given you provided a good proposal).

Cheers,
Jan

  I have read the following resources you suggested I read.For the project I was intending to implement encoder and

decoder for LDPC ,but going through the gr-fec module ,I noticed there were already encoders and decoders for ldpc.I came

across a pdf on this same project for GSOC 2013 by Perez , I don't  know if I am right but it seems they had not yet been

fully integrated as modules to add to the already existing convolution decoders and encoders.My question is will this

project be about reusing the existing ldpc encoder and decoder codes,optimizing them with volk or having something

new?  Thanks