Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Spectral Survey with GRC?

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Spectral Survey with GRC?
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 14:25:52 -0400

On 03/02/2016 09:02 AM, Bruce E. Kahn wrote:
Hi GRC companions

Has anyone used GRC to acquire a large range RF spectral survey? Basically, step from range to range, and save the output in a (text) file. I would like to be able to average each frequency/range for some (variable) period of time, or do peak hold, much like some of the nice FFT sinks do. I have been doing this in Python with a modification of osmocom_spectrum_sense, but I would rather use GRC since it is more intuitive. I just need a starting point, and particularly how to save to file, and time average. This seems like it would be pretty straightforward, but I haven't seen it done anywhere (with GRC).

A little background. I am working on a research project on ambient RF energy harvesting (using printed metamaterial antennas). I recently got a HackRF One to help understand the ambient RF energy present and correlate it with energy harvesting performance.

Thanks in advance!

There have been various of these over the years. Most recently, I put together a scanner type application for scanning filters. This
  might be a good starting point:

http://www.sbrac.org/files/filter_scan.grc
http://www.sbrac.org/files/scanning.py

This takes ruthless advantage of the newest "Python Module" block in GRC, which is a more-convenient way to integrate "helper"
  python code into .grc flowgraphs.

Cheers