Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Getting one or more Ds after hours of running a G

From: John Shields
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Getting one or more Ds after hours of running a GRC app on Ubuntu
Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 08:32:08 +0000

Thanks Marcus,

        Have put answers in-line.

               Kind Regards,

                       John

On 03/05/16 08:20, Marcus Müller wrote:
On 03.05.2016 09:52, John Shields wrote:
On 03/05/16 02:58, Marcus D. Leech wrote:
On 05/02/2016 10:40 PM, John Shields wrote:
the system runs along happily for several maybe even up to 20 odd
hours but, as below, I start to see one or more Ds. In one run of 23
hours, I had 10 Ds and eventually a segmentation fault - not sure if
it is coincident with issuing of the final 'D'. Sometimes the D is
not accompanied by UHD errors

here is the terminal output from the last run:

linux; GNU C++ version 4.8.4; Boost_105400;
UHD_003.010.git-156-g2d68f228

Using Volk machine: avx_64_mmx_orc
gr-osmosdr v0.1.4-72-g164a09fc (0.1.5git) gnuradio 3.7.9.1
built-in source types: file fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd hackrf bladerf
rfspace airspy redpitaya
-- Opening a USRP2/N-Series device...
-- Current recv frame size: 1472 bytes
-- Current send frame size: 1472 bytes
-- Detecting internal GPSDO.... Found an internal GPSDO
-- Setting references to the internal GPSDO
-- Using subdev spec 'A:0'.
-- Using LO offset of 1e+07 Hz.
WARNING: Overriding original sample rate of 1e+07 with 2e+06
-- Loaded /home/john/.uhd/cal/rx_iq_cal_v0.2_E2R10Z1XS.csv
UHD Error:
     Control packet attempt 0, sequence number 10594:
     RuntimeError: no control response, possible packet loss

UHD Error:
     Control packet attempt 1, sequence number 10595:
     RuntimeError: no control response, possible packet loss

UHD Error:
     Control packet attempt 2, sequence number 10596:
     RuntimeError: no control response, possible packet loss

UHD Error:
     An unexpected exception was caught in a task loop.
     The task loop will now exit, things may not work.
     RuntimeError: link dead: timeout waiting for control packet ACK
Terminated

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation
Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09) (prog-if
00 [VGA controller])
     Kernel driver in use: i915

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 01)
     Kernel driver in use: r8169

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 01)
     Kernel driver in use: r8169

06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 v2.0 Gigabit
Ethernet (rev c0)
     Kernel driver in use: atl1c

by looking at the Realtek card, the PHY chip is the RTL8168B
(single-chip Gigabit NIC Ethernet Controller for PCI Express)

not sure if there is general knowledge of this Taiwanese NIC/Chip re:
dropping packets or other performance issues? I note these boards are
rev 1.0!!!!!
They are certainly not the greatest NICs in the world when it comes to
CPU efficiency, but I'm not aware of any specific prolems. Can you
actually just try with the atheros interface? That would rule them out
as possible source of problems.
Yes, I will give the on-board Atheros a try.
re: relatively high CPU for 8 cores running simple_ra - the '8' is
actually only 4 real cores (2 logical cores per physical) but as can
be seen from below,
I don't believe I splashed out on a graphics card and just took the
motherboard's capability. Perhaps my Scottish accent can be detected?
Will look into getting something along those lines if it improves the
graphics performance.

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation
Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09) (prog-if
00 [VGA controller])
..
     Kernel driver in use: i915
That's an Intel HD 4000 or so, right? At any rate, they should have
enough horsepower to update a few plots via OpenGL. What indeed could be
happening is that hardware rendering is not used (the wx GUI toolkit
seems to be a little special sometimes, but then, who or what isn't?).
So two things:

1. could you share what "glxinfo | grep renderer" says? (or was it
glxinfo64? If both are present, send both :) )
2. there was a way to dis/enable wx OpenGL usage per config file. My
brain feels a bit holey these days; I'd have to research that.

address@hidden:~$ glxinfo | grep renderer
    GLX_MESA_multithread_makecurrent, GLX_MESA_query_renderer,
    GLX_MESA_multithread_makecurrent, GLX_MESA_query_renderer,
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Desktop

not sure if it is significant or not but I had to install glxinfo ( sudo apt-get install mesa-utils)

General question: After things crashed, using the N210 works if you
re-start simple_ra (or any other UHD sample streaming program), or do
you need to power-cycle the N210?
no Marcus, I just restart simple_ra and it goes off running fine - no need to touch the N200.

Best regards,
Marcus