Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Wideband Random Noise Cypherpunk Guerrilla Radio

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Wideband Random Noise Cypherpunk Guerrilla Radio - Doc Req
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2016 23:53:26 +0200

Hi grarpamp,
> Is there a more general, gnuradio agnostic, SDR list?
Puh, the SDR community is huge, and we're probably one of the largest
forum amongst them; I really don't know
> IEEE probably doesn't accept papers dealing with, at least in part,
> possibly applied toward "illegal in some jurisdiction" use of
> airwaves. It's understood that causes friction in britches of some
> readers. Oh well. Cypherpunk Guerrilla Radio... a fun topic for some
> others to investigate indeed.
Rest assured that waveform research is not illegal. By the way, there's
really nothing subversive about all this; I think you're really still
under the impression that what you're describing is new or fancy, or
very "people need to hide their radio for anti-governmental
reasons"-specific, but really, spread spectrum is a totally normal, and
totally academically, technologically and commercially well-exploited
field. And really, I'm all for open access and all against subjecting
technological advancement to the scrutinity to a self-electing "elite",
but if a group of researchers never make it into any IEEE proceedings …
that's usually not a good sign for the quality of research. The de-facto
standard way to publish in communication technology is IEEE, or maybe
similar national organizations.

Please don't let yourself and your enthusiasm be put down by this! I'd
really like to see more practical applications based on SDR, especially
on decentralized, ad hoch structures! Really, if you find that paper,
please read it with an open mind and make sure that everything presented
is really somehow different from what people already do (and if it is,
that this really has a technological advantage). If you don't find that
paper, become an expert yourself! There's so much awesomeness in
building robust, anonymous communications! (and fame! But maybe fame and
anonymity don't go together all that well...)

Best regards,
Marcus