Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] License for libs linked in OOT

From: Forest Crossman
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] License for libs linked in OOT
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2016 14:32:04 -0500

Jan,

If your OOT module uses GNU Radio data structures or function calls
(i.e., the API), then it can only be distributed under the GPL. This
is because the work is "based on" GNU Radio[1]. Since a work "based
on" a GPL'd work can only be distributed under the same license[2],
your OOT module would have to be licensed under the GPLv3+. It works
the same way in Wireshark, where any plugins developed for it can only
be distributed under the GPLv2+ or the GPLv3+.

Of course, you can release any code not based on GNU Radio (i.e.,
implementations of algorithms that could operate independently of GNU
Radio) under any license you want, so in essence you would be
dual-licensing a portion of the OOT module, but that could get legally
tricky very quickly.

To be clear, I'm not a lawyer, and I could be wrong, so don't take any
of this as legal advice. For that, I would consult the Software
Freedom Law Center[3]. If you want more non-lawyer advice, #fsf on
Freenode could probably give you some more pointers.

On a more cynical note, none of this license stuff really matters if
nobody sues you, so if you were to technically violate the GPL but do
it in a way that didn't make anyone too angry, you could probably get
away with it.

[1]: "To 'modify' a work means to copy from or adapt all or part of
the work in a fashion requiring copyright permission, other than the
making of an exact copy. The resulting work is called a 'modified
version' of the earlier work or a work 'based on' the earlier work."
[2]: "You may convey a work based on the Program, or the modifications
to produce it from the Program, in the form of source code under the
terms of section 4, provided that you also meet all of these
conditions: ... You must license the entire work, as a whole, under
this License to anyone who comes into possession of a copy."
[3]: https://softwarefreedom.org