Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Minimal install of GNU Radio without GUI, etc pos

From: Eric Statzer
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Minimal install of GNU Radio without GUI, etc possible?
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2016 11:32:09 +0000

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 12:13 AM Cinaed Simson <address@hidden> wrote:
On 08/04/2016 03:48 PM, Jason McHuff wrote:
> Hello, I am building a Linux server running ClearOS (a CentOS 7.2 derivative
> https://www.clearos.com/ ) and, among other things, want to use it to decode
> and record calls on a P25 trunking system.
>
> I was able to successfully get trunk-recorder working with the GNU Radio
> Live DVD (with great audio) and would like to get things permanently working
> with Clear OS.

Was this using op25?

I am wondering if it is possible to do a minimal install of
> GNU Radio without any GUI stuff (Clear OS doesn't have a desktop) and just
> what trunk-recorder needs to decode P25 using a RTL SDR.

I use the GUI to generate python code and then run the python code
remotely via a SSH connection to a headless machine with a full install
of gnuradio without using the GUI.

I presume it would be possible to build gnuradio without X11, Qt, or WX
- but I've never tried it.

> I'm guessing GNU Radio 3.7.5.1-2.el7 which is available in the Clear OS

The current version is 3.7.10.1.

> repos is too old, and when I did try to install using PyBOMBS on it before I
> ran into this issue with Apache Thrift

You don't need thrift - it's optional. I've never installed thrift and
the builds complete - but I do have swig installed.

> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2016-06/msg00041.html
> and the build-gnuradio script (I think) seemed to mess up the user database,

The email addresses pkconfig, automake and libtool issues - nothing
about messing up a user database.

> and overall wouldn't mind doing things manually on a fresh install.

The nice thing about pybombs is it installs the dependencies - which is
the hard part. Then you can setup your build environment. Typing mkdir
build; cd build; cmake ../ is the easy part.

I would definitely suggest using pybombs, and in order to do that you probably need to abandon (and clean up) any of your other installation attempts.  Alternative versions of packages lingering in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH or PKG_CONFIG_PATH will cause bad things to happen, even with pybombs.

In order to do a minimal install, you want to start adding additional flags to the "config_opt" variable for gnuradio under pybombs.  There is multiple ways of doing this now, the most simple to explain being to edit the gnuradio.lwr recipe (which probably exists under ~/.pybombs/recipes/gr-recipes.

The best way to control what packages you build is by starting with the "-DENABLE_DEFAULT=False" flag, and then add back only the packages you need.  An example of a working flag combination can be found at [1] (skip to the 'ENABLE_DEFAULT' flag, ignore any other GR configuration flags above that line).  Note: I'm not suggesting that you _use_ the script in [1], just providing it as a configuration example that I know works. That script successfully builds GNU Radio for Android, which has no Python, no WX, and no Qt (pretty much the most minimal working example I could think of).

As mentioned above, Thrift is entirely optional, and if you know you won't be using Thrift, you can disable the GR components that depend on it with "-DENABLE_GR_CTRLPORT=False". If you want to use ControlPort (and by extension, Thrift), then you can give this thrift recipe a shot [2] (copy just that file in to your gr-recipes directory, overwriting the existing thrift recipe). This thrift recipe differs from the one currently in gr-recipes master in that it builds Thrift from a tarball instead of from the Thrift git repo (which lets you skip the bootstrap/autoconf steps). Last time I attempted it, this recipe successfully built thrift on a CentOS 7.2 machine. Please report back if you run in to troubles.

-Eric

[1] https://raw.githubusercontent.com/trondeau/grand-build/master/grand-build.sh
[2] https://github.com/estatz/gr-recipes/blob/thrift_tarball/apache-thrift.lwr