Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Combining gr-IEEE802.11 with NS2/NS3 For Simulati

From: Bastian Bloessl
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Combining gr-IEEE802.11 with NS2/NS3 For Simulations
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2017 17:23:46 +0100

Hi,

> On 2 Mar 2017, at 16:27, Garver, Paul W <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hey all,
>
> I’m looking at doing some IEEE 802.11g simulations for my research and I’d
> like to solicit your opinion as to the best approach. Essentially, I think I
> have a method of improving localization accuracy combining TDoA with some
> information from the MAC Layer. I’d like to simulate my idea in more fidelity
> than MATLAB. By this, I mean creating nodes which actually implement at least
> the PHY and MAC OSI Layers of the stack. gr-IEEE802.11 [1] has some nice
> support for the PHY layer, but critical MAC layer features such as CSMA/CA
> are not implemented. I also want to simulate particular frame exchange
> sequences such as RTS/CTS. NS2/NS3 [2] appears to have support for many of
> the higher layer functions (e.g. MAC), but it’s unclear to me how much you
> can play around and access the PHY Layer. I’m not very familiar with NS/NS3
> in general. I need very precise (sub-sample level) information on packet
> arrival times, etc.
>
> I’m wondering if I could combine the accessibility of the PHY layer in
> GNURadio with the MAC-Layer implementations in NS2/NS3. Basically, the idea
> is to let GR be the “modem” for NS2/NS3, and then try and combine the NS2/NS3
> results with some output from the GR simulations (e.g. time of arrival of
> particular packets) to get what I want.
>
> Has anyone tried this? I appreciate your advice regarding the easiest path
> here...

sounds like your looking for something like PhySimWiFi [1]. There is a good
invited paper about it and Jens Mittags dissertation.

However, in general, I would avoid to setup large scale ns-3 simulations that
model the phy on signal level. That get’s complicated and computationally
complex. Maybe it is possible to make phy simulations, derive a simulation
model from the results, and use the model in ns-3.

Best,
Bastian

[1] https://dsn.tm.kit.edu/english/ns3-physim.php