Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GRC flow graph taking longer than I think it shou

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GRC flow graph taking longer than I think it should
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 15:45:59 -0500

On 03/06/2017 03:18 PM, Thomas Wright wrote:
Thanks for the info. Would writing the same program using c++ gnuradio apis give better performance? is there anything else we can to to significantly improve performance aside from not using gnuradio? Thanks again.

-Scott

You can modify latency by changing buffer sizes, for example, in the "options" block you can specify the max_items.

But buffer management, which trades-off *throughput* vs *latency is a tricky subject. Folks other than me probably have better insights into the Gnu Radio scheduler to help make these trade-offs. By default, Gnu Radio is optimized for *throughput*, which means that latency can take a hit--ESPECIALLY at lower sample rates. Even a "modest" 16K-item buffer will incur 80 or so msec of latency at
  195Ksps.

Also, you're using old-style message queues, which are, I believe deprecated.

It would be better to learn how to write your own OOT processing block, than to stuff raw data into a (obsolete) message queue, and have
  "ordinary" python code process it.