[Discuss-gnuradio] adding a file-position slider widget, slightly edited

From: Gary Newell
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] adding a file-position slider widget, slightly edited
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 12:56:02 -0600

Hi –

This may be a duplicate, my last message was sent from the wrong source account.

As an exercise, I am interested in adding a little new functionality to the file_source block.  When a file is being replayed, I would like to see the file’s position displayed from 0% to 100%.  So, I would like to add a source file position slider widget (or use the current slider, but add functionality to source file).

Basic flow:

cid:image001.jpg@01D2B89A.AA89FD10

Where the slider position shows the position within the replay file:

cid:image005.jpg@01D2B89A.AA89FD10

I have worked my way through the Python tutorials (I’m new to gnuradio) and I’m looking for a recommendation about how to implement this feature.  My guess is that it will involve the function probe, but I think /src/gnuradio/gr-blocks/lib file_source_impl may also need to be modified in order to expose both the file size and the current file position as outputs?

I am interested in working through this as an exercise (I’m not looking for someone to post the solution), but I am fishing for an outline of what I need to do.  I’m guessing:

1)    Create new C module and XML and integrate it into grc

2)   Put the new module into a flow and modify top block to probe the size and position values and calculate percent complete

3)   Update the slider with information from #2

Thanks!

Gary