[Discuss-gnuradio] Spurious Spikes in RX Data

From: Sean Horton
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Spurious Spikes in RX Data
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2017 09:46:15 -0700

Hi,

I've recently gotten someone with Matlab to help me look at what's going on in my receiver. The image was created with matlab from data from a file sink connected directly to a usrp source. I am seeing spurious spikes when plotting I or Q, and I'm not sure where they could be coming from, or how to get rid of them. I know what I think I'm about to transmit doesn't have those spikes.

Some info that might be helpful:
Using a N210 with a UBX connected directly to my desktop.
I have tried a few sample rates (96000, 201613).
I am currently doing a loopback test, though working on getting the sdr to listen to a signal generated by another piece of equipment.
This doesn't stop me from being able to decode what is transmitted, but since my issue is I can't decode messages with as low of an SNR as I expect, I'm trying to examine everything as closely as possible. I'm off by 20-30 dB.
The entire path to get to matlab is: usrp_source -> file_sink -> Python's scipy in order to read in the raw data and store it in a .mat.

Also, if any responder would be kind enough to also point out how I properly respond, that'd be great. I know I can't just hit reply to the digest, and I also can't change the subject line when I hit reply in the digest, so I'm sort of stumped. I have had digest mode on, so I'll turn that off for now.

Thanks,
Sean

--
Sean Horton