Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Decoding 2FSK Compensating for carrier jitter/ske

From: Cinaed Simson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Decoding 2FSK Compensating for carrier jitter/skewing (CFO)
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2017 00:33:27 -0700

On 07/12/2017 05:39 PM, Cinaed Simson wrote:

> On 07/12/2017 03:56 AM, HLL wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 1:56 AM, Cinaed Simson <address@hidden
>> <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
>>
>>     It seems odd that a device with a maximum power 116 dBm would have such
>>     a weak signal.
>>
>> As I mentioned earlier, I'm not really sure what is the frequency of the
>> device is, I just scanned the 300 + area and I found a few that
>> correlate with the device transmission
>> This one was taken on 440.15M; I Also have another similar capture,
>> captured at 419.562M
>
> At least the ones in the US operate between at 4 frequencies between
> 450-470 MHz.
>
> The frequency band will vary with country.
>

>>     Maybe the antenna was to close? The distance of the receiving antenna
>>     was roughly 0.1 of the carrier wavelength from transmitting antenna.
>>
>> I guess it was, distance was around 8-15 cm or so, as the wavelength is
>> 68.15cm, When capturing I didn't considered it (or even known it is a
>> factor)
>
> The wavelength for 450 is 1.5 meters. I really don't know where the
> boundary is between near field and far field - but I would guess far
> field the other side of a full wave length.

Opps - Andy Walls I had the numbers upside down - should have checked
the units.

In any case, the wave length is 2/3 of meter and not 1.5 meters.

>> The antenna used is the stock RTL SDR one.
>
> It's quarter wave antenna I believe for around 800-900 MHz.
>

>> If you can recommend some hackish (DIY or even retail) antenna to better
>> receive that signal that would be grate.

Actually, my PCB antennas are log periodic - they don't need a external
ground.

The problem with these antennas is need to build a stand. Probably not
worth the cost.

I would just put a large piece of metal under the antenna - quarter wave
antennas need a good ground - dirt is poor conductor. But then power is
116 dBm - you could probably use a paper clip soldered into a SMA
connector :).