Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to add code to a gnuradio_companion variable

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to add code to a gnuradio_companion variable setter
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 22:27:52 +0200

Hi kai,

short version:

1. make an out-of-tree module
2. add new block – python or cpp, doesn't matter, should be of type "noblock" if you really just want to do anything. 3. modify the XML file describing that block for the GNU Radio Companion, so that it has a parameter with a <callback>methodname($parametername)</callback> field.
4. do what you want in yourblock.methodname(parameter)
5. build and install that module

You'll find an intro on how to use gr_modtool to generate out-of-tree modules in the "Guided Tutorials" on http://tutorials.gnuradio.org .

BUT: I **Really** would discourage trying to do what you're doing. Use message passing instead. What is it that you want to build? I'm almost certain what you're trying to achieve can be done in different, less "complicated" manners.

Best regards,
Marcus

PS: we say "GRC" or "GNU Radio companion", because it's the "graphical companion to GNU Radio"; "gnu radio_companion" just seems wrong :)