Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [USRP-users] UHD USRP Async Msg Source

From: Piotr Krysik
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [USRP-users] UHD USRP Async Msg Source
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 12:57:54 +0200

W dniu 24.02.2015 o 23:01, Martin Braun via USRP-users pisze:
> On 02/02/2015 05:31 PM, Murphy, John via USRP-users wrote:
>> Hello,
>> In GNU Radio Companion under version 3.7.6.1 with UHD version 3.8.1 I
>> see a block under the UHD blocks called "UHD: USRP Async Msg Source".
>> When I connect this to a WX GUI Terminal Sink the flowgraph (which has
>> a USRP Source block for my receiver front end) runs just fine but
>> nothing is printed in the terminal window.
>> What are some of the uses of this "Async Msg Source" and is there
>> something I can do in GRC to enable it to pass text to the terminal
>> block?
> The short answer is, you probably don't need this block.
>
> The long answer: When streaming to the device (Tx), there is a return
> path for for messages from the device, such as underruns. These can be
> read out with this block. It then passes these messages to a legacy
> message queue.
>
> In the future, this block will probably go away, and the message output
> might get merged with the USRP sink, because both the way this block
> reads the messages and the message queue are considered deprecated, but
> we'll keep it around for as long as possible for backward compatibility
> reasons.

Hi all,

I was looking for a way to handle transmission errors for UHD Sink and
someone showed me this thread from usrp-users list from over two years ago.

I suppose the future described by Martin hasn't arrived yet as UHD USRP
sink doesn't receive and expose information about transmission problems.

If no one more skilled in extending GNU Radio project's blocks wont show
up and do this, at some point I will probably need to add that support
myself (as "USRP Async Msg Source" is deprecated).

I want to ask you GNU Radio developers for advices how it can be done so
maybe what I 'll be doing will be usable for other people, not just me.

What I want to do at this moment is to add to UHD Sink a thread doing
what this function osmo-trx does:
https://github.com/ttsou/osmo-trx/blob/master/Transceiver52M/UHDDevice.cpp#L368

The thread would send messages with information about transmission
problems to a message output. What do you think about such solution?

Best Regards,
Piotr Krysik