[Discuss-gnuradio] problem understanding the ninput_items/noutput_items

From: Jason Matusiak
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] problem understanding the ninput_items/noutput_items
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 12:46:56 -0500

I am having a problem understanding something simple in my general_work function.

I have a forecast function, but I seem to get different sizes for ninput_items/noutput_items in general_work.  What I currently do is find the minimum of the two values and work off of that: int min_items = (ninput_items[0] < noutput_items) ? ninput_items[0] : noutput_items;.

In my mind that makes sense, but if I print out the values of ninput_items/noutput_items, I see something I think is odd.  Over and over it looks like this (where this is ninput_items/noutput_items= min(ninput_items,noutput_items):
2044/1024=1024
1020/512=512
508/256=256
252/128=128
124/64=64
60/32=32
28/16=16
12/8=8
4/4=4
2044/1024=1024
1020/512=512
508/256=256
252/128=128
124/64=64
60/32=32
28/16=16
12/8=8
4/4=4

Is this divide-by-two on the output port action what is supposed to happen?  I don't understand why it keeps dropping and then jumps up in size again.  I am driving a null sink, so it should be able to keep up no problem....