Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Gnuradio clock coherence?

From: John Ackermann N8UR
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Gnuradio clock coherence?
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 09:49:54 -0500

On 11/14/2017 02:20 PM, Marcus D. Leech wrote:

My real question is whether it's safe to assume that a flowgraph is entirely clocked by the samples from its hardware source, and consequently that processing within the flowgraph (e.g., oscillator and mixer for tuning) does not introduce potential frequency errors.

A flow is clocked by the hardware--either by samples being produced or consumed by the hardware.

The exception is when you use a "throttle" block in the absence of any hardware.  In that case, the PC clock (very roughly) controls sample rate.

So, in the absence of overruns or underruns, the signal processing in a flow-graph cannot introduce timing errors, unless deliberate a programmmed.

Thanks, Marcus.  That's what I thought, but it's good to have it verified.

John