Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] RTP block / Opus vocoder

From: Albin Stigö
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] RTP block / Opus vocoder
Date: Wed, 9 May 2018 10:10:16 +0200

Well RTP provides important functionality when streaming over the
internet. Especially time stamping and sequence numbering which allows
to reassemble out of order data (UDP provides no such guarantee) and
adjustment for clock drift which, among other things, allows you to
keep the receiver buffer smaller for "real time" tuning.

RTP also provides a "telemetry" channel over RTCP for network statistics.

Not sure why you assume I will use VLC?

Of course if you are just streaming over a LAN raw UDP might be ok
since the risk of out of order packets is essentially zero.

--Albin