Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Square Wave Pulse Shapping Filter

From: Andy Walls
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Square Wave Pulse Shapping Filter
Date: Sun, 20 May 2018 08:28:27 -0400

Hi Jose:

Please keep conversations on the list.

On Sun, 2018-05-20 at 00:54 -0300, Jose Marcelo Lima Duarte wrote:
> Andy,
>
> Thank you very much for all information.

You're welcome.  But after I thought about it, it may not work in your
situation.

The GNURadio symbol timing synchronization blocks require symbol
centers to be "peaked" to perform their function properly.  Matched
Filtered RRC pulsed QPSK and Matched Filtered Square pulsed baseband
PAM are nicely peaked.

I'm not sure a Matched Filter will do anything to peak Square pulsed
QPSK unless there are spaces in between the pulses or the pulses are
not truly square.  Recovery of symbol centers of Square pulsed QPSK
will be very difficult, given that the QPSK can have an arbitrary phase
rotation in the receiver.

However, I don't believe engineers of an old satellite system would
make reception so difficult; especially if they were content to waste
TX energy in square pulses (which would be fairly broad spectrum).

Does the downlink provide an explicit symbol clock, on a frequency
separate from the data?  Is the satellite downlink specification
publically available?

> I will use the architecture you propose with minor parameters change.
> I am planing to work with a very high oversample rate to make ISI
> insignificant, 32 or higher prior to the MF and 16 after it.

Note that square pulse matched filters are not good antialias filters.
Don't decimate with the MF.  Do the anti-alias filtering and down-
sampling with a separate Decimating FIR filter.

> Thus, I won't need more than 2 tap at the interpolation filter.

Well the GNURadio 8-tap MMSE interpolation filter used by the symbol
synch blocks is fixed at 8-taps, since the taps are all precomputed
offline and compiled in as constants.

Note that the MMSE interpolation filter is only MMSE (i.e. bounded
error) when the input signal is band-limited to the frequencies in the
interval [-Fs/4, Fs/4].  When using a high number of samples per
symbol, like 16, usually you'll be OK.

I would say, for more information, please see my presentation on Symbol
Synchornization here:

https://www.gnuradio.org/grcon-2017/program/grcon17-presentations/

but the web page seems to be broken/gone.

Instead, you can suffer through the video of me talking through my
slides, if you want:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMEfx_l5Oxk

Regards,
Andy