Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] install issue with c++11

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] install issue with c++11
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2018 10:06:06 -0400

On 06/05/2018 09:07 AM, Jason Matusiak wrote:
Thanks Dave, but that did not seem to work for me.  Here were the commands I ran (slightly different than recommended, but that was for some different recipe mods that have nothing to do with this issue):

$ export CXXFLAGS="-std=c++11"
$ PREFIX=/opt/gnuradio/v3.7.12.0
$ yes | pybombs prefix init $PREFIX
$ yes | pybombs -p $PREFIX recipes add gr-recipes git+https://github.com/gnuradio/gr-recipes.git
$ source /opt/gnuradio/v3.7.12.0/setup_env.sh
$ pybombs -vvv -p $PREFIX install gnuradio

And currently things keep erroring out at the same place while installing UHD:

[ 43%] Building CXX object lib/CMakeFiles/uhd.dir/usrp/dboard/magnesium/magnesium_radio_ctrl_impl.cpp.o
[ 43%] Building CXX object lib/CMakeFiles/uhd.dir/usrp/dboard/magnesium/magnesium_radio_ctrl_init.cpp.o
c++: internal compiler error: Killed (program cc1plus)
Please submit a full bug report,
See <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla> for instructions.
make[2]: *** [lib/CMakeFiles/uhd.dir/usrp/dboard/magnesium/magnesium_radio_ctrl_init.cpp.o] Error 4

I've also tried env CXXFLAGS=-std=c++11, but it had the same issues.

That error is internal to the compiler, it is failing to perform its job correctly.  This has nothing to do with Gnu Radio, per se, or PyBombs
  or any of that.  This ordinarily means you compiler is broken in some way.

HOWEVER.  How much memory do you have on the system?

This issue used to happen on systems with small physical memory, because compiling certain things requires a lot of virtual memory
  on the part of the compiler.

Jason,

     You can set the CXXFLAGS env variable to "-std=c++11" and any CMake builds you run (assuming the same shell) will check the CXXFLAGS var first.  This assumes that you don't overwrite the value of CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS.  I just tried it in a terminal with `export CXXFLAGS="-std=c++11"`, then `cmake ..`, and finally `VERBOSE=1 make -j 1`.  The verbose make command will show you if your flags are taking or not.

-Dave