Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Unable to see GSM signals in USRP Spectrum Scanne

From: Amrit Zoad
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Unable to see GSM signals in USRP Spectrum Scanner (FFT)
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 10:30:08 +0200

Hello Mr. Müller,

Thanks a lot for the reply! Everything is clear now.

Best regards,

Amrit Zoad

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 1:21 PM Müller, Marcus (CEL) <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Amrit,

Well, usrp_spectrum_sense is a hopping observer, and GSM is a hopping
system: your probability of intercept is rather low.

Your probability of intercept is in fact, really zero, if your phone
doesn't do GSM (2G), but uses 3G (UMTS) or 4G (LTE): these use other
frequencies altogether. So, make sure your phone really does do GSM.

You also don't even have to look at the GSM900 uplink at all:
Telefonica (which Aldi resells) doesn't use that band at all.

The spectrum sense application is really badly suited for this kind of
task, as it hops: Instead, simply look at the whole band at once. A
simple GNU Radio Companion flow graph connecting the USRP source (samp
rate = total uplink bandwidth) to a Qt GUI Frequency Sink would make
more sense.

A word of secondary advice: If you're planning to experiment with 2G
networks of your own, or doing something about the basic properties of
microwave propagation and so on, observing spectrum of GSM is a
worthwhile thing to do. Just be warned that it will be increasingly
hard to find GSM signals "in the wild": T-Mobile will switch off GSM
end-of-2020, and thus, up to then, all phones that can do both LTE and
GSM will be instructed to use LTE whenever possible. Since there won't
be much Machine-to-Machine GSM-only  (which I assume are the primary
users that won't be able to switch) user equipment in cities, you'll
see that increasingly many phones don't use GSM anymore at all – even
if the network still exists; the calculation is very simple: The amount
of spectrum necessary to let a single user do a GSM phone call is worth
MB/s for a lot of LTE users. Thus, everybody not using GSM is desirable
for network operators.

Best regards,
Marcus