[Discuss-gnuradio] SDR for beginners (if not quite "dummies")

From: Colin Rowat
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR for beginners (if not quite "dummies")
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2018 11:47:12 -0000

I'm looking for an interesting Christmas present for my sons (ages 13 and 10) and wondered about software-defined radio.  We're reasonably tech literate, but don't have any SDR experience.

I'd thought that it could be interesting for them to see what sort of signals are passing through the air around us, and even identify and listen to some of them.

I'd love something that:

1.       is easy to use and can give an immediate reward out of the box - e.g. tuning into something they couldn't otherwise hear, or transmitting to walkie-talkies in the area.

2.       allows room to grow, so that they can do more serious things with it if they're interested

3.       can be used from an Android phone or a Raspberry Pi (nice, but not essential)

4.       not too expensive

Thus, I think I'd need both SDR hardware and an intro-level book/manual.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions about how to get started with SDR.

Thank you,

Colin