Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Request for comment: Adding fixed point to VOLK

From: CEL
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Request for comment: Adding fixed point to VOLK
Date: Fri, 31 May 2019 08:13:37 +0000

Hi Albin,

I'd love this, especially if we end up with a kernel that we can use to
build decimating FIR filters that inherently convert to higher-bitwidth
int or floating point.

I think this could be super useful in hardware flow graphs, where one
would get integer numbers from hardware anyway; in a low-SNR scenario
only processing gain (e.g. through filtering / correlation) would make
it sensible to use a larger integer or floating point's larger dynamic
range.

Not quite sure how that would preferably look like, but I'd imagine
Q1.15 going in, getting weighted internally with Q1.15 (or Q1.31 with
limited amplitude) coefficients to add Q1.31 numbers to a Q1.31
accumulator. (I'm assuming Q1.15 means 15 fractional binary digits and
one sign bit.)

(Oh, and yes, x86_64 / SIMD extensions have relatively nice conversion
instructions.)

Best regards,
Marcus