Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [VOLK][announcement] VOLK release impeding

From: Ralph A. Schmid, dk5ras
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [VOLK][announcement] VOLK release impeding
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2019 13:34:00 +0200

Hi,

> Unfortunately having an HDMI connector for a display and a USB port for the
> keyboard with a ready-to-use distribution such as Raspbian makes RPi users
> believe that they have a full computer available and forget proper
> embedded system development practices as I see daily from most students.

They really do connect display and keyboard to it? I did this the very first
time after maybe two years with my zoo of Raspberries, just to see if my TV
could cope with it.

> Would anyone consider running gcc on a low-power STM32 or MSP430 for
> compiling the firmware ?

What is the problem? When the aim is not learning how to cross compile stuff
(what can be quite complicated) but just let the compiler run, who cares if it
takes one or ten hours? 3.7 went faster on my RasPi, using more cores could
have helped, but I did not care as I just went to bed, and had a look after my
morning coffee :)

I agree when you are doing this for a living, then time may be money, but even
then just letting a RasPi sitting in the office corner and compile is quite
doable.

> JM

Ralph.