[Discuss-gnuradio] Enabling a block during runtime?

From: Vladimir Marinov
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Enabling a block during runtime?
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2019 01:37:58 +0300

Hi,

I am developing software with GNU Radio Companion for the Lime SDR.

I wanted to make the option of running the software without the SDR plugged into the computer, for testing purposes, so that I can just take a look at the generated signal in an FFT and Waterfall display and make sure that everything is working as expected before actually transmitting.

The problem that when I run the software, the Lime SDR Sink Block will automatically search for a plugged-in SDR and the software will not start if it doesn't find one.

Right now I have to different GRC files: one for testing, which doesn't include the Lime SDR block, and one for actual use which does have the Lime SDR Sink ( and respectively only works when the SDR is plugged in).

This works fine but I was hoping that I could somehow make a button inside the program that could activate the SDR block during runtime so that I don't have to have the two different files.

My plan was to have the SDR Sink Block inside the GRC file but disabled, and have the button enable it during runtime after the testing has been done and the SDR is plugged in.

After some research though I have the impression that this is impossible to do. Am I missing something? Is there a way to enable a block after the program has been started, with a button for example?

Thanks,
Vlady