Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Question about calculating integration times

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Question about calculating integration times
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2019 19:36:06 -0400

On 08/10/2019 03:40 PM, Ellie White wrote:
Hi all,

I hope you're doing well! Thanks again for your help with my questions earlier this summer. I've got another thing to ask now; I am in the process of configuring a system to record integrated spectra using the attached flowgraph, and I am trying to determine how to integrate for, say, 60 seconds -- if I want to do this, what should my decimation be, and how do I calculate that? I have been able to approximate this by trial and error, but I would like to know the calculation behind it.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide, much appreciated. Have a good afternoon!

Cheers,
Ellie

It kind of depends on how you're doing integration.

An approach that strictly does sum/reduce/dump then you need as many samples as would occur over your desired integration time.

For a single pole IIR filter, it's a bit trickier, and you'd set the "Alpha" parameter to:

e^sqrt(sample-rate*integraton-time)

Which will approximate an R-C integrator with  the given integration time.