Re: gr_modtool crash

From: Maitland Bottoms
Subject: Re: gr_modtool crash
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2019 11:15:55 -0500

César MR <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi! I'm trying to follow the tutorial about working with gnuradio in c++,
> which can be found in the wiki, but i when i try to run gr_modtool, it crash.
> At first i thought that it was because of my language, so i changed my linux
> mint language to UK english, but it didn't work.
>
> In addition i had to run gr_modtool with admin privileges in order to  get a
> crash report in /var/crash directory.
>
> You can download the whole crash log here: https://mega.nz/#!yLxRGaRI
>
> What do you think is the root of my problem? thank you

That is a Debian packaging of gnuradio bug that mint inherited.
This is also found in Debian 10 "Buster" gnuradio 3.7.13.4-4.

The problem comes from Python byte-compiled files used as templates.

The solution is to remove all .pyc files found under
/usr/share/gnuradio/modtool/gr-newmod
especially:
/usr/share/gnuradio/modtool/gr-newmod/python/build_utils_codes.pyc
/usr/share/gnuradio/modtool/gr-newmod/python/build_utils.pyc
/usr/share/gnuradio/modtool/gr-newmod/python/__init__.pyc

I missed these becasue they are not present in the .deb, but are
generated when the package is installed.

Recent (gnuradio 3.8) Debian packages no longer byte-compile any Python
under /usr/share/gnuradio/ - solving this problem.

Easiest fix is just
`sudo rm /usr/share/gnuradio/modtool/gr-newmod/python/*pyc`

Good luck,
-Maitland