Re: Question about writing message handling blocks

From: Jeff Long
Subject: Re: Question about writing message handling blocks
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2020 13:45:26 -0400

The start() function is called by the framework to tell the block to get ready, so it seems normal that this would happen before any messages arrive.

Did you mean to call run() from __init__()? Are you thinking that this runs as a thread? The result here would be that you would do a sequence of point/track/sleep ops, then __init__() would return, then the framework would start running (and would call the block start()), then handle_msg and/or general_work would be called. __init__() should perform initialization then return, and any subsequent work should be done as a result of work/general_work/handle_msg or be done in another thread.