Re: apt-get breaks gnuradio 3.8.1.0

From: Paul Boven
Subject: Re: apt-get breaks gnuradio 3.8.1.0
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 14:49:50 +0200

Hi Josh, everyone,

On 7/31/20 1:31 PM, Josh wrote:
I think Paul is right - we stepped the PPA version up with the correct numbering scheme, but that seems to conflict with the dependencies of OOTs.  There are a couple of ways to deal with OOTs in the future, but we don't have an immediate solution other than don't mix the PPA with the packaged OOTs.

As far as I can see, getting a fixed GR into Ubuntu stable is going to take some time. Both packaging (and having a good discussion about *how* we want it packaged, in terms of filenames and the like), and getting it accepted into ubuntu-updates for 20.04.

As a short term solution, I propose to add all the packages that depend on the GNU Radio libraries in Ubuntu 20.04 as part of the PPA, because the PPA version of those libraries conflict and prevents them from getting installed. These can be found by running:

apt-cache rdepends libgnuradio-runtime3.8.1

The other option would be to rebuild the current PPA, with all the pacakges having '3.8.1' at the end of their name, and a version number that is higher than current PPA and release versions. Currently, the 'official' Ubuntu library packages (except gnuradio itself) have a suffix of 3.8.1 in their name. So if we were to publish libgnuradio-runtime3.8.1 instead of libgnuradio-runtime, the higher version number would work fine for dependent packages. Although that would create a bit of a mess for current PPA users.

Regards, Paul Boven.