Re: explaining i/q

From: Fabian Schwartau
Subject: Re: explaining i/q
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2020 12:40:24 +0100

Hi Kristoff,

As some people already pointed out here, it is always good to give
multiple views for the concept of complex numbers, as different minds
work differently and some explanation may push the right buttons for
someone, but not for someone else. Especially for such a complex (pun
intended) and quite theoretical topic. So, here is an other view which I
like to use when I teach the concept to students and it is based on a
frequency point of view:
If you have a purley real valued signal (like all signals in reality
are) they have a mirrored spectrum. So the positive frequencies are the
same as the negative ones (except for inverse phase values). This is
logical, as there is no real intuitive concept of negative frequencies
in reality. Let's assume a signal at (and around) a carrier frequency
fc. This will show up as two "hills" of signals around fc and -fc in the
spectrum. One definition of complex signals is now that I use a
(complex) mixer to mix the signal from the positive frequencies down to
zero, so that fc is now at zero frequency (in time domain I multiply by
exp(-j*2*pi*fc), which is the one-sided version of a cosine). -fc is now
at -2fc. Then I use an ideal low pass filter to remove the part at -2fc
and I am left with a signal around zero frequency, which is not
symmetrical any more (in general). As the original real-values signal is
symmetrical I do not remove any information with the low pass filter, so
the original signal is reconstructable by mixing it back up to fc and
taking the real part of the complex result to get the real-values
two-sided spectrum again (and I have to multiply the amplitudes by 2 to
compensate the "lost" energy due to the low pass filtering and taking
only the real part of the result).
Hope that is clear, but when your audience does not come from an
electrical engineering point of view it might be even more confusing to
introduce the concept of a spectrum - although it is a vital part of
signal processing and you will have to introduce it at somepoint anyway.

Best regards,
Fabian