Re: Survey regarding GNU radio usage in amateur radio

From: Ralf Gorholt
Subject: Re: Survey regarding GNU radio usage in amateur radio
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2020 11:40:04 +0100

Hello Adrian,

here are my answers to your questions:

1) No.

2) I have tried to use it for DVB-T reception with an RTL-SDR stick in
the 70cm band with non standard bandwidths (2 MHz and lower). In
principle, this is possible, but there is a problem in the OFDM symbol
recognition block due to different clocks used by the receiver and
transmitter. This leads sooner or later (seconds to minutes) to
reception loss because the receiver has to re-synchronize again.
Somebody on the list (I don't remember his name by heart, I would have
to search my emails) has made something for ISDB-T but this is not
usable for DVB-T.

3) In my opinion, GNU Radio is a very powerful tool. But, it is only a
tool and a tool that you have to know how to use. Abolutely nothing for
beginners. Mostly nothing is really ready, you have to build what you
need yourself. The GUI is very basic. This is only my personal
impression, I may be wrong. And I don't know PYTHON and at my age, I
don't want to learn yet another programming language.

4) Strong: very powerful and versatile. Weak: different versions of GNU
Radio are available, for Linux and Windows, every one with different
options (available blocks). Sometimes newer versions do not offer all
available blocks. Sometimes you have to compile modules yourself,
something that is difficult when you have to or want to stick to
Windows. I am partially able to do this but many OMs that I know are
not. And lastly, even if Linux was the best system around, people would
still prefer Windows. My impression is that without an always up to date
Windows version GNU Radio will remain something for "nerds".

5) Yes.

Kind regards,

Ralf