Re: Tag Best Practices & Performance?

From: Nicholas Long
Subject: Re: Tag Best Practices & Performance?
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2020 12:08:45 -0600

I guess I am slightly confused by the rationale for tagged streams. It seems like you could do any of your chunk type processing by just placing a tag saying "new data chunk starts here" on the first sample of the new data chunk and an end tag on the last sample of the data chunk (like the sob and eob tags the USRPs use).

Also is a tagged stream chunk in an input buffer all at once? If so does that have an issue with buffer sizes if the chunks get really large?

With regards to performance, I do not have any specific issues, This is more me trying to understand the limits/things I might run into. I generally like to fully understand the issues before I run into them (or more so that I can avoid them), especially with something like gnu radio where there are multiple ways of doing something. It is also part of my attempt to wrap my head around the architecture.

One of the things mentioned on the wiki that tags can add overhead. As one moves towards high throughput/low latency applications, does tag handling/propagation become a limiting factor? or is the bottleneck generally something else, (obviously this depends on a case by case basis and needs to be profiled) but I am curious about other people's general experiences.