Re: Working Narrowband FM examples?

From: Gary Schafer
Subject: Re: Working Narrowband FM examples?
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 11:12:35 -0400

Hi, Nathan,

I'm with you on the "too far down in the weeds / eyes roll back in my head". I
still do that even now. Just watch me in a staff meeting.

Sorry about the hardware question. Had it in my head that you'd tried *ANOTHER*
SDR other than the HackRF. My bad. Yes, it should be capable of 20 MSam/sec. I
*had* a HackRF, until I somehow managed to fry the front-end. Otherwise, I
would have been trying your graphs on my own SDR.

You're on to something with regards to the GQRX vs Gnu Radio. However, I think it's just a case of
matching the blocks and settings. GQRX is nothing more than a Gnu Radio graph in a really nice
wrapper. However, after I dug into the code and tried to recreate the FM broadcast stereo receiver
(the one put together by Alex Grinkov) in Gnu Radio, I noticed that, just as you stated, the audio
doesn't sound as nice as it does using GQRX. Frankly, I heard a hiss on my Gnu Radio version that
is not there in the GQRX version. But it must be settings. The hardware is the same (RTL-SDR, in
this case) and, again, GQRX uses Gnu Radio blocks. I'm still going to try your graph with a RTL-SDR
(still a 8-bit digitizer, same as the HackRF) to see if I can figure out how and why GQRX sounds so
much nicer. This is peculiar. As they say, the best discoveries don't come from "Eureka!"
moments, but from "Hmmm, that's peculiar" moments.

Gary

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the reading list.  I’m an engineer, so I have multivariate calculus
under my belt, but I’m not an electrical engineer, so sometimes when texts get
too down in the weeds my eyes roll back in my head and I start foaming at the
mouth, haha.

As for hardware, I mentioned in my opening post to the list that it’s a hackRF.
 It *should* be capable of up to 20MS/s all the way from 1MHz to 6GHz.  I’ve
ordered one of those RF shielding kits to hopefully address the noise problem.
Or at least, I’m not aware of any limitations on the hackrf’s sampling rate
other than the 20MHz upper limit (but I’m still digging!)

For the low pass filter in the Xlating block I’m calling out to firdes:

firdes.low_pass(1, 8e6, 5000, 1700)