Re: (python) resources for "offline" signal processing ?

From: Jeff Long
Subject: Re: (python) resources for "offline" signal processing ?
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 08:00:25 -0400

[Back on list - my goof]

On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 7:50 AM Kristoff <kristoff@skypro.be> wrote:
Jeff,

Thanks for the very quick reply.
I don't know if you intended to reply just to me, or to the list.

Feel free to forward to the list if you want.

Well, let's take the example of HFDL.
 From what I have found, it's a packet of data that starts with a tone
(to allow the receiver to correct any frequency-offset), and then a
burst of data in BPSK, QPSK or 8PSK @ 1800 baud.

I guess, if you want to decode this, you
- first need to detect the start of the 'frequency-tone'
- measure any frequency offset of that tone
- multiply the rest of the packet with a tone at -x Hz
- then to PSK demodulation.
I am not sure of the PSK order is encoded in a header or so, so I guess
that you just have three decoders running in parallel and see which one
returns a valid bitstream.

It would be nice to do this one manually, so I can really inspect the
packet.
But I guess that if you would want to automate this (i.e. write a GR
demodulator block for this), then you need to write a python script that
implements this.

For that, I guess I need to learn what library (numpy, scipy-signal,
commpy, ... ) does what.
(I have the impression that these libraries overlap)

Note.
I do not know if there are already HFDL decoders in GR. For me, this is
just an exercise to learn how to do this.

And I think that HFDL is probably one of the less difficult protocols to
decode so it looks like a good place to start.
(just guessing here).

Kristoff