Re: is there in gnuradio a library that for for,loop case execute parall

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: is there in gnuradio a library that for for,loop case execute parallel computing like open mp?
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 17:27:49 +0200

Dear stackprogrammer,

you can write any software you like in a GNU Radio block's work function. I'm sure you've done that before!

However, multithreading a single GNU Radio block that only does a multiplication or two is almost certainly worse than not doing it. GNU Radio itself is a heavily multithreaded environment. So, if you take a block that is not a bottleneck, and make it occupy multiple CPU cores, you're reducing your overall system performance.

Of course, if you already looked at your system workload, identified that the block you want to parallelize is your bottleneck, AND already know the type of algorithm you do inside can be done efficiently (!) in parallel, well, that's something else. However, in the last email you wrote about being throughput-limited, it seemed quite likely that your storage speed is limiting you.

Best regards,
Marcus