Re: GNU Radio for Radar Applications

From: Jim Melton
Subject: Re: GNU Radio for Radar Applications
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 15:22:25 +0000

Kenneth,

Gig ‘em!

GNU Radio is designed to start with I/Q and perform in software all the steps
that you would have done in hardware. So in that respect it is a good fit.

Now, I’m a SW guy and the RF domain still makes my head hurt, but I suspect
that digitizing and processing 77 GHz (!!) is computationally intractable. If
your I/Q is IF and your sample rate is reasonable, then it is feasible.

Also I have no experience with the TX side, but others do.

For algorithm development using recorded data I think you’ll be pleased.

Jim Melton, BQ ‘82

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 21, 2021, at 8:48 AM, Kenneth Kruse <kenkruse@tamu.edu> wrote:
>

> Hello,
>
> My name is Kenneth Kruse and I am in the second half of my Electrical
> Engineering Senior Design class at Texas A&M University. We are trying to
> implement TI mmWave Radar in our project, but we lack the knowledge of how to
> read and process raw I/Q data (as the boards for processing from TI are
> expensive). Is GNU Radio a good platform for this project with 77 GHz radar
> that sends chirps? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks and God bless,
> K. Kruse

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE - SNC EMAIL: This email and any attachments are
confidential, may contain proprietary, protected, or export controlled
information, and are intended for the use of the intended recipients only. Any
review, reliance, distribution, disclosure, or forwarding of this email and/or
attachments outside of Sierra Nevada Corporation (SNC) without express written
approval of the sender, except to the extent required to further properly
approved SNC business purposes, is strictly prohibited. If you are not the
intended recipient of this email, please notify the sender immediately, and
delete all copies without reading, printing, or saving in any manner. --- Thank
You.