Re: Is there a Gnu Radio block to compute the power of a signal?

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: Is there a Gnu Radio block to compute the power of a signal?
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 13:37:08 +0100

That's almost certainly not an answer to the question you're posing, namely "How do I measure the power of a specific class of signals". A function probe is just a method of getting some data out of a flowgraph, and it's almost never the appropriate solution (function probes are really more for debugging, or very sporadically/randomly updated GUIs and such, not for signal processing).

First of all, it's important to note that basically none of the SDRs you'd attach to GNU Radio come calibrated by default – so the numbers you see in GNU Radio are only proportional to some amplitude of electrical field. So, digital powers are only proportional to the powers on the air, but can easily be calculated taking the squared magnitude of your complex samples.

Best regards,
Marcus